It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new.
But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful.
There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
Alan Cohen
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

In the Park with Pup




There are trees in the park near our home. Oddly shaped, very tall and very different leaves or needles on them. They are beautiful yet odd South American things, imported from Mars.I need to get a book on the trees and flowers of Argentina . I am always marveling at the color, size or beauty of a flower or tree and I have no way of finding out more about them. No point , at all, in asking someone in the park at the time. Even I know my limits with subjects that I can discuss in Spanish with strangers.I have done this enough times to expect the surprise on their faces, followed by the look of sympathy as they ease themselves away and leave me there, wondering what was it I said incorrectly or worse, what did I say instead of what I meant to say?
These trees are mixed among the magnolias and jacarandas and all sorts of vaguely familiar trees. They are home to parrots and birds, some familiar, some totally different. I like the flocks of bright green parrots that fly around, little squadrons of green making all sorts of noise, squawking and yelling at each other and anyone else near by.I love seeing where someone has thrown down bird seed or bread and there will be a little crowd of pigeons, doves, sparrows and parrots.All happy together, peaceful little kingdom, if you don't count the squawking.
Today in the park with Pup, under one of the huge Ombu trees, a sight that cheered both Pup and I . Two horses and their riders. Mounted policeman.The mounted police here are very handsome, it might be a requirement.. they look like the belong in a movie rather than cooling off in the shade in the park on my street. But I am perfectly content with having them there, as is Pup.Pup is as much in love with horses as I am. They usually like him , or they are just as curious about this whimpering with happiness bundle of curls, who just wants to bump noses with them. They quietly munch on the grass, nap in the shade and there is Pup, all wiggles and wanting to dash straight at them for hellos.I am afraid he will get kicked in the head, so I tell him no.So he just stands there at a distance and wags his tail frantically and smiles. Today he invited a horse to chase him.You know how dogs do that to each other? tail in the air, head down, mad dash away, then back.The horses ignored him. The policemen thought he was funny.I imagine I will have to make this up to him in some way. Maybe we will go out to our friends campo for the weekend, they have 10 horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome..Thank you.

Living in Argentina

Living in Argentina

Blog Archive

Pages

And Don't Forget To Visit Me Here Too !

See more photos here

sunset in Buenos Aires

Powered By Blogger