It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new.
But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful.
There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
Alan Cohen
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Back to the Land

My friend Pearl said that she "needs to go back to the land ... like her forefathers, she will buy some land by a river and raise cows and goats and do her own butchering and raise a passel of kitties. "


This made me laugh on a couple of different levels.
One - she is just plain old funny. Clever, silly and funny.
 I need Pearl, she reminds me that I need to smile and laugh more.
There are days that I have a worried face, a grumpy face and often a pissed -off, leave me alone face ... but Pearl makes me laugh.

Then I started thinking about what she said and what we are about to do.

We are going back to the US.
"To the land" .. we will live in the country this time and there will be a river somewhere nearby and while I have no intention of raising cows or goats and God Forbid I ever butcher anything except for flies and mosquitoes , I will be happy to raise kitties and a puppy or two.

I grew up in the country, my father, my uncles and cousins went hunting.
I hated it.
I wanted to live in a city.
I wanted to dress nice every day.
I wanted to go to concerts and libraries that are huge and have enough books to keep me reading for at least 50 years.
I wanted to see people that were different from me, who spoke other languages and wore different sorts of clothing.
I wanted to maybe possibly learn another language , see foreign movies and hail a taxi .
(I grew up watching That Girl)

So  here I am.
I live in a massive city.
In another country.
On another continent .. never say we do things halfway.
I hail taxis , I walk in huge parks and take photos all the time and shop in small markets where the produce comes in by truck with dirt still on it, feathers on the eggs and the truck looks like it rolled out of the showroom in 1952.

My neighbors say hola ! como esta ? and I said Muy Bien !
The doormen wave and smile.
The shopkeepers know us.

The restaurants we go to are comfortable, the waiters know us, some of them even know what we want.
I have to remember to order something different now and then, you know, just to keep them on their toes.
No point in being too reliable.
We are , after all, in Argentina.
Where it is always a nice surprise when things work properly, things are on time and that the price is the same two weeks in a row.

So here we are , waiting for our realtor to bring a person to our home , who will fall in love and make us an offer we cannot refuse.
So far we have refused a few.

And then we will pack up and fly away, back to where we came from , but not.
Instead of the City, we will go to the Country.

I can't wait !

5 comments:

  1. If it doesn;t challenge you, there is no reward. I think you both did an outstanding thing and have grown from the experience. I can;t imaging my kids faces if we announced we are moving to south america!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First my friend .. I hope that you foot is much better and you are getting about.! I have been a bit MIA from blog visits .. it has been a crazy busy summer here.

    Oh my friend ... sometimes there really is no place like home; despite where we now live and no matter if its been a long or short time that we have called a new place home.

    I'm hoping that the right buyers come for your home (away from home) soon and that you will be back on this continent , closer to your family, friends and enjoying your fabulous home in the country.

    In thought and prayer, blessings C. (HHL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The U.S. awaits you with open and slightly judgmental arms. :-)

    I'm glad to be a part of your life, Candice. It's a pretty good place to be.

    Hugs, and I'm looking forward to your thoughts on country living...

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  4. HHL ... thank you as always for your sweet words and blessings ..

    Pearl .. Thank you .. as usual .. You know that my life is as good as it is because of the friends that are a part of it. and the husband of course but we never discuss him, do we.
    Country living and me ... Adjustment time will be needed, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Razmataz, they were off on their own adventures and what better than to have a place to stay in Argentina ? :)
    They do make happy noises when I speak of returning though ..

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome..Thank you.

Living in Argentina

Living in Argentina

Blog Archive

Pages

And Don't Forget To Visit Me Here Too !

See more photos here

sunset in Buenos Aires

Powered By Blogger