It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new.
But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful.
There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
Alan Cohen
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.

Sunday, May 25, 2014

For Sale

Enough of this Nature business, I want to move back to the City.

Why ?
I will give you a small list :

1- I have to mow the lawn myself.
This isn't such a big deal except for .... the mower wouldn't start.
The very nice man next door used his and did it for me.
Then he took mine and tried to find out why it wouldn't start.
He fixed it. I can mow.
But I don't really want to mow.
I can drive a car , I can shift gears, I like riding motorcycles , I am afraid to ride on a riding lawnmower.

2- There is poison ivy/oak out there.
I am not going to go into greenery that can make me break out in bumps that itch, burn and weep and scar.
Not to mention, there are babies and other people who will visit and be exposed to that too.

3 - I have a Mother Groundhog in a nest ( for want of a better word) at the edge of the garden.
She is big.
I don't know what she would do if she thought someone was threatening her baby.
I don't want to find out.
Minette and I watch her from Inside the house, that works fine for us.. well, Minette asked if she could go out and meet her and I had to say no .. let's keep things simple here.

4- I tried weed whacking the hedges and edging of the lawn / pool area/ etc and discovered it was mostly poison ivy.
I ran in the house and took a shower and scrubbed the top layer of skin off to be sure I didn't get a drop of poison juice on me ...
I had it once as a child, I do not ever want it again.

5- I was in the house, with a nice breeze coming in through the screened windows in the "garden room" and I heard the kitten .. in my bedroom .. making odd noises.
I walked in and she had something on the floor .. it was a battle, Minette seemed to be winning.
I walked over and she moved.
It was a WASP !!!
No ... not a WASP like me ... A BEE  !!!!!

My heart still hasn't stopped thudding.
It could have really harmed Minette, she is so tiny.
It could have really harmed me , I am not that tiny but I am allergic to bee stings.
Something about swelling, breathing/not breathing, heart stopping... you know, that kind of allergic.

So I grabbed a box of Kleenex, grabbed the kitten with one hand, slammed the box of tissues down on the bee and Minette and I ran out of the room and slammed the door.
When my heart had slowed down a bit, I put her in another room and went in, carefully, slowly .. the box wasn't moving ... I lifted it ... the damn thing moved ... So I took one of my boots and finished it off.

Mid Century Modern on one acre in bucolic setting with formal gardens and a full size swimming pool -For Sale.



5 comments:

  1. Quelle battle!
    So glad the Bee did not win
    Choices choices
    Always the same...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Candice,

    After years in the country we do not regret for a moment our move to a city. Life is definitely easier to manage and, certainly where we are, everything we need is within walking distance of the house.

    At times we grow nostalgic for the garden but we do not miss the work of it all. We can go away whenever the mood takes and there are no lawns to mow. Bliss!

    Yes, go to the city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Candice , so happy that you and Minette won over the bee!!! Much like you we have been enjoying the country ... BUT our time in the city renovating my house there through winter has us thinking about moving to the city FULL TIME!!! ...wishing you a beautiful week..hugs, Celia M. (HHL)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've lived in town & I've lived in the country (FAR in the country). I currently live in a suburb, at the very furthest edge of town. Things here are never in walking distance, but everything is fairly close. I never want to live any closer to the country than I am now. Perhaps one day I'll move to a more pedestrian-friendly city. Who knows. I say Go For It.
    (and very glad you won over the bee! Yikes!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My days of yearning to live on a farm have ended too! It's hard enough with a 1/4 acre garden on the edge of the city. We looked at snazzy new downtown apartments - they are so overpriced and have NO garden……what big decisions we all face as time marches on and life changes.

    Good lucy Candice - if you loved the house I just know someone else will come along and fall for it too!

    Allergic to bees! Hope you keep an EpiPen handy!

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome..Thank you.

Living in Argentina

Living in Argentina

Blog Archive

Pages

And Don't Forget To Visit Me Here Too !

See more photos here

sunset in Buenos Aires

Powered By Blogger