It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new.
But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful.
There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
Alan Cohen
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Cats and Dogs and Birds .. Oh My

I woke up yesterday and wandered into the kitchen for my coffee ... noticing as I walked past all the big windows that we had a sort of blizzard.
No wonder I slept so well, it is like being wrapped in cotton, a cocoon of silence. No cars, no birds, no nothing ... silence.
Makes you pop your ears and be sure you still have your hearing.

I wandered into the kitchen with the fussy kitten .. feed me feed me I'm hungry why aren't you feeding me !!!!
As I poured my coffee ( I send thanks to the unknown person who invented the automatic coffee pot that brews  and has it ready for you when you stagger into the kitchen half unconscious and in severe need of caffeine )

The kitten wraps herself around my ankles, goes to her dish, back to the ankles, it is this whole kitten drama every morning .. like I ever forgot to feed her ??
God forbid, I would forget to feed me before I would forget her.
Plus, she would never let me forget ... maamamamamamama feeeed meeee.




So she has her little head buried in the bowl, I stand at the windows and sip my coffee, waiting for my brain to wake up and I stare at the snow. Several feet of it on the ground. Weighing down shrubs, tree limbs , fresh deer tracks each morning, empty bird feeders .. poor things, I can't get out there to fill them and the deer would eat them before the birds.
My best idea this week , much to the delight of Minette was putting popcorn, crackers and toast , all crushed up , out on the dining room porch .. Blue Jays as big as the kitten squabble over the crumbs, little sparrows sit in the shrubs, patiently waiting .. now and then a flash of red .. a huge cardinal waits his turn ..
No sign of the chipmunks since it got really cold. I put a lot ( a L O T ) of pistachios out by their home and they disappeared so I am encouraged that they are all snug in their little homes, fat and warm and making crafts things out of empty cashew shells.

When I am stuck inside for too long, I think of what a good idea it was to get a kitten and not a dog.
But then ... I want a dog.
I have good reasons, if I need to give them to someone who asks, what do you want a dog for ?
Watch Dog. That explains itself.
A companion when I go for walks.
Walking ... I can't sit around and increase my dress size when I am walking a dog every day.
Company .. Minette is great, she is my tiny baby and snuggles and makes me laugh and I know she thinks I am Mama.
But a dog is different.. you can still be mom and you can still have company but they are more needy than cats .. they want company too.




When I sell the house and hopefully move into the Little House .. a dog will join us eventually.
We will decide later what kind .. it varies from day to day .. who I talk to ..

I just looked at the weather for my area .. on line ... how did we live without computers ?
I have to ask Minette.

Be sure to pay attention to the temps tonight ... deargodsendmetoArgentina !

OVERNIGHT
Increasing Clouds
Increasing
Clouds
Low: -6 °F
FRIDAY
Slight Chance Snow Chance for Measurable Precipitation 20%
Slight Chc
Snow
High: 18 °F
FRIDAY
NIGHT
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly
Cloudy
Low: 10 °F
SATURDAY
Snow Likely Chance for Measurable Precipitation 70%
Snow
Likely
High: 29 °F
SATURDAY
NIGHT
Chance Snow Chance for Measurable Precipitation 50%
Chance
Snow
Low: 19 °F
SUNDAY
Snow Likely Chance for Measurable Precipitation 60%
Snow
Likely
High: 22 °F
SUNDAY
NIGHT
Snow Likely Chance for Measurable Precipitation 60%
Snow
Likely
Low: 16 °F
MONDAY
Snow Likely Chance for Measurable Precipitation 60%
Snow
Likely
High: 22 °F
MONDAY
NIGHT
Chance Snow Chance for Measurable Precipitation 40%
Chance
Snow
Low: 16 °F


3 comments:

  1. Ah I love both cats and dogs. My cats are my alarm clock - they know when it's breakfast time, and that it's my duty to get up and feed them, right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading of the start of your day Deb - with you on the coffee pot and feeding the sweet creatures no matter what - they are so hungry this time of year, and birds can't fly without enough body weight/fat.

    Yes darling little kitty is best right now, imagine having to 'walk the dog' in so much snow!!

    Happy weekend dear - stay snug and safe.
    Mary X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a Frenchie!

    Phil

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome..Thank you.

Living in Argentina

Living in Argentina

Blog Archive

Pages

And Don't Forget To Visit Me Here Too !

See more photos here

sunset in Buenos Aires

Powered By Blogger